For the benefit of all pets taken into the program, it is important that charitable bequest donors who wish to leave their pets to Pets Alive are aware of a few essential guidelines:
Because Pets Alive is continually faced with an inexhaustible supply of orphaned animals needing new homes, owners wishing to surrender their pets generally must wait a few months before space is available, or are turned away completely. In recognition of donors who make charitable bequests or provide irrevocable trusts to Pets Alive, we will waive the usual waiting period and take their pets in immediately, or at the time the bequester can no longer care for them.
It is Pets Alive's belief that dogs and cats belong in a loving home and not in a kennel. Therefore, all animals bequeathed to Pets Alive will be put up for adoption. Rest assured, Pets Alive's Adoptions Program goes the extra distance to match a pet's temperament and requirements with an adoptive family's lifestyle. Animals who are taken from their own homes sometimes suffer from stress and anxiety. The staff and volunteers of Pets Alive make every effort to alleviate these problems through personal attention, grooming, exercise and socialization techniques.
- Pets Alive's adoption program is limited to cats, dogs, horses and birds. Anything else you would need to contact us in regards to, to see if we can commit to that animal.
- Be sure that your pet is current on all of its required vaccinations and have veterinary records kept with your other important papers. It is important that we not vaccinate your pet again, if it has already been done, so we ask that you be sure to leave a copy of all records, or your veterinarians contact information for us as well.
- Pets Alive provides physical examinations, vaccinations and neutering/spaying for its adoptable animals, but to keep costs down for both Pets Alive and the adoptive family, you are urged to take care of these requirements before your pet comes here.
- For more expedient adoptions, animals should be in stable health with no chronic medical problems, and they should be of non-aggressive good temperament. Special exceptions will be considered, but again, we must be aware of the situation beforehand, and additional funds for training or behaviorial work may be requested if the animal has temperament issues.
As a non-profit organization, Pets Alive must continually seek donations to fund its current programs and operations costs. Costs to shelter, feed, groom, and provide medical care for the animals in our care are substantial. Therefore it is necessary that charitable bequest donors make the following financial provisions in order for Pets Alive to accept their pets:
- Dogs and cats under three years of age - $5,000 per animal
- Dogs and cats three to six years old - $10,000 per animal
- Dogs and cats four to eight years old - $15,000 per animal
- Dogs and cats over eight years of age - $20,000 per animal
Pets Alive's adoption program is not one where animals are simply placed in the first available home. Every step is taken to ensure that each adoption is a permanent match. If you wish to bequeath your dog or cat to Pets Alive, please take care to complete the following steps to ensure your pet's smooth and successful transition into a new situation.
If you have questions or would like additional information on charitable giving by bequest, or on Pets Alive's adoption program, please contact us at email@example.com.
Thank you for thinking of Pets Alive and for caring so much about your pet.
- Ask your attorney to state specifically in your will that you wish to entrust your pet to Pets Alive's adoption program.
- Inform the executor of your estate, family members, and/or friends that you wish to have your pet cared for by Pets Alive so that the transfer of your pet can be accomplished as soon as possible.
- Please fill out this Testamentary - Provision form. Please then send a copy to us, so we have a record, and also put a copy with your will, or lawyer.
- Complete the Surrender Questionnaire form, available online, or you can print it, or request a copy from us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org), and place it on file with your will and send it to Pets Alive, 363 Derby Rd., Middletown, NY, 10940. This form provides Pets Alive with important information about your pet's name, medical history, lifestyle, preferences, and behavioral characteristics that will help staff find the best possible match with a new family. Please also provide us with your current and any past verterinarian contact info, in the case that we have additional questions.
- Ask your attorney to incorporate into your will the following suggested language for making a charitable contribution to Pets Alive.
I give to Pets Alive, a non-profit, New York corporation, currently located at 363 Derby Rd., Middletown, NY, 10940, the sum of dollars (or, if insurance policies, land or other property, please describe). This gift is unrestricted, and may be designated at the discretion of the board of directors.
- When your will and Surrender Questionnaire are complete, please notify Pets Alive in writing of your plans, and include a copy of the Surrender Questionnaire with your letter. This will assure that Pets Alive has current information about your pet on file when he/she comes to us. Please direct your correspondence to: Pets Alive, 363 Derby Rd., Middletown, NY, 10940